WAYS TO BECOME INVOLVED IN LEAGUE
● Attend a LWV event (forums, issues briefings, annual meetings)
● Assist with League events
● Propose a topic for an event
● Take pictures at an event
● Plan or host an event
● Help identify potential co-sponsors for events.
● Help promote events on social media
● Help update and maintain the local League website
● Help set up for events, clean up afterwards, welcome visitors
● Bring a friend
● Keep informed on League issues and opportunities. Ask to be added to mailing lists.
● Check State and Local website for issues.
● Contact Legislators about issues: each year we generally identify three or four that we focus on.
● Remember, only the President speaks for your local League.
● Write a letter to the editor
● Attend State League’s Issues briefings in the fall.
● Attend state League’s Lobby Day in February.
Leave Board and Committees
● Attend Board meetings
● Volunteer for a committee
● Volunteer for the Board
● Help update the directory of elected officials
League Research and Action
● Propose a topic or issue to study and action.
● Join a study committee
Voting and Voter Registration
● Assist with Voter Registration
● Assist with Poll monitoring on election day
● Assist with “Get Out the Vote” campaigns
● Participate in local, state, and national training
● Check out www.vote411.org/
● Check out votesmart.org/
State and National
● Attend State League’s Board meetings
● Attend State Convention (odd numbered years) and National Conventions (even numbered years)
● Participate in periodic training workshops & webinars
● Read “In League” weekly newsletter.
LWV of Black Hawk & Bremer Counties
Cherie Dargan, President
League of Women Voters of Iowa
Terese Grant, President
Last updated March 9, 2021